Model Snow and Ice Policies and Contracts
These policies help cities and counties prepare clear and complete snow and ice management policies and limit the potential liability risk from these activities. Snow and ice management requires balancing public interests including, as paramount, public safety but also equipment and material cost, environmental impact, and other concerns. The WI Salt Wise Partnership is continually adding sample policies and invites both municipalities and businesses to share their policies to include on this web page. To share your snow and ice policy, please email us.
Model Snow and Ice Policies
- Scott County Snow Policy (PDF)
- Goodhue County Snow Policy (PDF)
- Olmsted County Snow Policy (PDF)
- City of Eagan Road and Trail Snow Policy (PDF)
- Village of Shorewood Hills Salt Reduction Policy (PDF)
- Minnesota Model Snow and Ice Management Policy (PDF)
- Minnesota Model Snow and Ice Management Policy Guidance Document (PDF)
- Minnesota Model Exhibit for Private Snow and Ice Service Contract (PDF)
If you have a contract example that we should add, please email us.
City of Edina, MN
The City of Edina assembled a technical advisory team of property managers and private snow/ice contractors to develop a model contract for snow and ice management services. The main goal was to offer a model contract that embraces best practices to minimize environmental impacts from sand, chlorides and other chemicals, while also maintaining safety and addressing liability risk allocation.